Cancer is a broad term. It’s best described as the abnormal growth of cells in any part of the body. Thus, anything that has the potential to cause a normal body cell to develop abnormally can cause cancer. Exposures to toxic chemicals, ionizing radiations, some pathogens, and family genetics are the general categories of cancer-related or causative agents.
Causes of cancer
There are many causes of cancer, and most of the time, they can be prevented.
According to the NHS, over 78,000 people die in the UK each year from the effect of smoking cigarettes. Also, heavy alcohol intake, excess body weight, lack of exercise, and malnutrition are some of the causes of cancer
- However, the big question has always been “ is cancer genetic”
Yes, genetic factors can contribute to the formation of cancer. Gene is a unit of hereditary, transferred from a parent to the offspring, which determine some features of the offspring.
Thus, an offspring can inherit from the parent a predisposition for a type of cancer. Most doctors will refer to that as having a hereditary cancer syndrome. And according to cancer.gov, 5-10% cases of cancer can be traced back to an inherited genetic mutation.
Also, an offspring’s genetic code constitutes their cell division and death. Abnormal changes in the genes can lead to a faulty sequence and may result in cancer. Genes also influence the production of proteins, and with protein, the brain in cellular growth and division, when there’s a change in proteins that would repair damaged cells, due to genes, it can also cause cancer.
Types of cancer
Cancer is said to be the abnormal growth of body cells in any part of the body. As such, there are many types of cancer, some of them includes,
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Colon and rectal
The most common type of cancer in gender
- Women: Breast, Lung, colorectal
- Men: Prostate, Lung, Colorectal
- Meanwhile, in children, they suffer mostly from Leukemia, brain tumors, and lymphoma.
Treatment/ approaches to cancer
- Chemotherapy remains the best approach to cancer treatment. It aims at eliminating cancerous cells with medication. The method has also proved efficient in shrinking tumors, but has an after effects.
- The best treatment for breast and prostate cancer is Hormone therapy. And because hormones are crucial in developing the aforementioned types of cancer, it becomes imperative to use Hormone therapy. Meanwhile, the approach entails using medication to correct how some hormones work or interfere with the body’s ability to produce them.
- Shrinking a tumor requires radiation therapy, which uses high-dose radiation to eliminate cancerous cells.
- It’s important, with the recommendation by a doctor to use surgery or to reduce tumor-related symptoms.
Also read: natural treatment for hypertension
- Different types of cancer have at least one approach to treating it. Stem cell transplant is mostly beneficial in blood-rated cancers like leukemia or lymphoma. It entails removing those white and red blood cells destroyed by chemotherapy or radiation. It’s then strengthened by Lab technicians, after which they are out back into the body.
- For example, doctors often use surgery to remove lumps in women’s breasts before they become cancerous. It’s also a part of treatment for someone with a cancerous tumor.
Among all these approaches to cancer treatment, healthy life remains one of the best ways to make sure you never get the disease. Although Genetic factors can cause cancer, lifestyle such as smoking and exposure to toxic chemicals contributes to the development of the disease mostly.
Luckily, there has been a drop in death relating to cancer, thanks to new and existing methods used in the treatment of cancer. However, it’s important to live a healthy life so you won’t depend on any of these treatments, remember life is wealth.